Arkansas Dog Munches on 23 Rounds of Live Ammo

Arkansas Dog Munches on 23 Rounds of Live Ammo

0

And I thought my dog had some strange eating habits.

Larry Brassfield, the owner of a Belgian Malinois called Benno, was shocked to find out that his beloved dog munched on 23 live rounds of .308 caliber ammo. And when we say munched, we mean that he chewed them up into little pieces and swallowed them down.

That’s what I call a healthy appetite. 

According to Benno’s owner, it isn’t unusual for his omnivorous pet to eat everything in sight as the dog has already munched on things like a gasoline-soaked lawn mower air filter, rocks, a television remote; and actually there really isn’t anything that Benno wouldn’t eat, but Larry never suspected that this could ever happen.

As Larry said, he was putting away ammo into ammo storage cans, but there wasn’t enough room for the last 200 rounds. As Benno has never munched on ammo before, Brassfield just left the remaining rounds in a bag by the bed.

The next day, Larry ‘Sonny’ Brassfield had the scare of his life when his wife told him that Benno had thrown up. Not so unusual, but when he saw the pieces of live ammo in the vomit he immediately knew that Benno messed with the ammo bag. However he didn’t know how many rounds the dog ate.

ADVERTISEMENTS

“So I just decided to watch him for some time,” said Brassfield.

Benno ate his breakfast as he usually does, but then after 10-15 minutes he threw up again, and another 3 rounds came out. That’s when Larry knew that he had to take him to the vet’s office. Brassfield was on pins and needles as he was rushing Benno to the vet’s.

Dr. Sexton, the local vet, was shocked to count up to 15 rounds of live ammo on the X-ray, while Brassfield saw at least 17 rounds.

The silver lining was that the ammo had been made out of brass and copper, and not zinc and led which are highly poisonous. But obviously, the dog had to undergo an operation. Dr. Sexton operated on Benno around two hours, during which she extracted 16 live rounds of extremely chewed ammo, and even one shell from the dog’s stomach. When she did another X-ray after the procedure, veterinarian Sexton saw that there are still 2 rounds in the esophagus.

However, she made the decision not to operate on Benno again.

“I decided to give it a week or so to see if Benno would vomit them up or pass them,” said Dr. Sexton. And exactly that happened, as Benno passed both rounds after 8 days.

Brassfield said that he will never leave live ammo lying around ever again, but he also adds “I don’t think it’s possible to Benno-proof your house. God knows, we’ve tried and failed.”

Benno has made a complete recovery and is again the happy playful dog that munches on everything.

ADVERTISEMENT